Thursday 12 July 2012

What motivates me?

Google Images
The fundamental motivating factor in life has been the poverty stricken conditions which I grow up under in Khayelitsha, a township just outside Cape Town.  The area has high crime rates, poor infrastructure, and little resources such as libraries to assist with school. There are no shopping malls with entertainment centres and these are just some of the few reasons to have resentment towards the place. All this unpleasantness helped me remain focused on my vision and worked hard in ensuring that I one day escape such deficiency.  

Another key motivation in my life is my siblings. My brothers and sisters are top performers in their respective schools and grades. They are hard workers and won’t go to bed at night without finishing their homework. As their eldest brother, they look up to me and for this reason I constantly strive to live an exemplary life. I am always careful in the manner I speak, behave and do things before them. This has shaped me into the humble, respectful, responsible person that I am today...ha ha ha.

As a teenager I befriended myself with matured and career focussed people. In their company I learned to be goal driven, hardworking and to live a purposeful life. I would absorb their knowledge and listen to their experiences in life, things of which I have successfully applied in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Well written piece about your history, how it has moulded you and how it has made you who and what you are today. Well done.

    ReplyDelete